Saturday, January 9, 2010

A moment. . .

Recently I have been finding myself in these "moments" where I go back to the exact moment when we found out Savanah was deaf and how crushing that was. It was soul shattering. I thought, why me and why my poor baby?!? You have read my posts like this, you know how I felt.

But how I feel now is completely different! I feel so fortunate for a healthy child. I feel blessed beyond words that she is still here and she is happy and breathing. I am so happy that medical miracles occur daily and she has a working cochlear implant and she can hear with it! I am so proud of my almost - 6- year old. I am proud of myself and her dad for overcoming the trials and tribulations that raising a deaf child has encountered, but more so I am proud of Savanah for enduring and never giving up.

We could have been dealt a really bad card. CMV could have made Savanah extremely sick, she could have died. Recently, a story I followed of a mother with a sick infant battling pertussis, passed away at Primary's a few days ago. When you hear and see people experience things like that, losing a child, so young and innocent, you have to stop and count your blessings for the healthy children in your life.

I know I think about things like this when I am pregnant, which I am now with baby #3My CMV titers have to be checked, we have to see a perinatologist for an ultrasound rather then a regular 2o week checkup. I worry all over again. I wonder if this baby will also be born deaf, if the baby will even be healthy or if this baby could battle CMV and worse?!?

But again. . . I will continue to count my blessings, my two beautiful blessings that remind me daily of why I was put on this Earth.

No comments: