Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Small steps in a BIG world.

Today I had the wonderful opportunity of going into Savanah's mainstreamed Kindergarten class and talk to her classmates about her cochlear implant. Another parent came along with me to represent her daughter as well.

I have to admit I was a little nervous. NERVOUS about talking to 5 year olds. I stood at the front of the class and felt so massive. It has been that long ago that I use to sit where they were.

I called Cochlear about a week ago and asked if they could send some resources for the class to help them understand better what a cochlear implant was. And they sent coloring books with a wonderful story about "Kaci the Koala" and how she got her implant. It also explains the entire process with surgery and the mapping appointments that followed afterwards. With the coloring books I typed up a little note and stapled them to each one to send home with the other students. I wrote to the other parents about cochlear implants and urged them if they had the time to sit down with their child and go over the book with them. I told them to let them know that everyone is different but we can all be friends.

The kids were darling. Very polite and receptive to everything we each had to say. We avoided big words and let them ask the questions. We let Savanah and Ellie stand up and show their implants off. We also let them pass around their stuffed animals the cochlear implant companies sent them when they recieved their implants. The kids thought they were cool. They had noticed that Savanah and Ellie didnt't quite talk right but seemed to be uneffected by this.

I was so happy to see children being respectful and open minded. They were happy to listen and happy to learn. They raised their hands so high to ask questions and also answer, and although it was a brief ten-minute presentation - I hope it is one that will stay with them their entire lives.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Sarah! I am so glad it went well! Young children can be so sweet!

Laura said...

How great is it that Savanah has another child in her class with an implant! That's great!