Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cancer is nothing like deafness. . .



But deafness is not like hearing. I read this book awhile ago. Wonderful book but just had the opportunity of seeing the movie tonight. I knew it was going to be sad. I read the book. I teared up in parts. But the movie was so much more impactful in ways I couldn't begin to explain. Normally movies do not touch me this way, normally I like the books better. But tonight there was something different, I have a daughter now and although she is not ill with cancer, we face our own personal and family struggles daily because of her disability.

I remember the exact way I felt when I was told Savanah was deaf. My entire world crumbled. It was so unexpected. So sudden. I cannot even begin to imagine what a mother must feel like to learn that their child has cancer and could face death. I remember feeling so selfish when Savanah was diagnosed. I remember feeling like this was so important and nothing else in life mattered and that we had to do everything in our power to help her. I remember feeling pity, not as much for Savanah, but for myself. I was so selfish, so absorbed.

Until the first visit to Primary Children's. It changed my entire perspective. We only had a deaf daughter who had a virus, when thousands of families were dealing with children with auto-immune disorders, rare diseases and cancer. All of a sudden we were a speck on a MASSIVE wall. That day changed my entire life. I was so thankful for Savanah. I was so thankful she was healthy. Breathing. Laughing. Smiling. Walking. I was thankful I had a daughter and she did not have to cling to life, the only thing she had to do was live it.

I admire all of those families. The ones who have stayed up countless hours praying that their child will make it through the night. I admire the siblings, grandparents, friends, neighbors, teachers. . . who have sacrificed many hours to help their sick friend, sister, brother, neighbor, cousin, grandchild, niece, nephew, classmate. But I admire the child, the child who endures and never gives up. The child who embraces their life for what it is, the child who is like mine and yours in all of the other ways that just makes them a child.

I love Savanah and I know she is different from others.I know that she and our family will continue to face struggles. But I am so grateful everyday that she is healthy and that Gracen is healthy and that our family is happy. I am grateful I am here on this earth and I get the opportunity to be their mother. I am so proud of Savanah and everything she continues to teach me about life. I am so glad Savanah is deaf and she gets to be "our keeper."

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm reading a book called "handle with care" it is by the same author as my sisters keeper.