Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Assume


Desmond and I were mentioning yesterday
at the infamous waterpark
that we took Savanah too
that it's sort of comical how everyone
just assumes that everyone can hear.

Everyone yesterday meaning lifeguards and swimpark patrons.
Before we talked into the park,
we decided to leave Savanah's CI in the truck.
Less hastle, we knew it would be 100% safe in there.

I always feel bad when she has to be implantless for so long.
I think it bothers her sometimes too.
But I don't think it bothered her enough
because she immediately took off.

We had a few encounters with some lifeguards.
They always have to explain what the rules are
what to do before going down a slide etc.
One of them even had to measure her and was yelling
at her to get her attention
Desmond immediately stepped in
he just quietly mentioned to her
"She's deaf, just takes a little more patience."
The lifeguard got weird and apologized a million times after that
One of the many reasons we try not to let people know.

But I guess since it is dominantly a hearing world
of course people assume that others can hear
Savanah asked me today why I could hear the boys talking
about her when she couldn't.
So apparently if your deaf, you just assume,
that if you're deaf, others are.

My sweet Savanah I love you.

No comments: