Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mapping & Sno-Cones

Recently Savanah and I ventured to Logan for her cochlear implant mapping. Mapping appointments consist of working with our favorite audiologist Cache but they involved audiograms - sound programming - and electrode tuning. This last appointment. Was just Savanah and I. A little mommy-daughter date. The drive to Logan (which is about 2 1/2 hours away from our home) was eventful. I was able to talk to Savanah the entire drive up there. I learned a lot about her. Have you ever really just talked to your kids? AND really LISTENED?!? This drive I listened to her tell me all about her friendship with Elly. How she really does enjoy being a big sister. How swimming is one of her favorite things to do and that she really doesn't like seafood or meat. I also learned that Savanah understands her deafness and "thinks it's pretty neat at night to not hear anything!" I also learned something I never had heard before - A sno-cone is her favorite treat and that summer was her best season. I agreed with her and told her I feel the same way. Later on that evening, after her mapping appointment, we each enjoyed a good sno-cone. She had lime and I had tigers blood. And it was a perfect day. The coolest thing about this day though - was the fact that while I was driving, holding both of my hands on the steering wheel, I was able to verbally communicate with my deaf daughter. And through the power of technology and medical expertise and a LOT OF WORK on both of our parts - she was able to listen to me. I didn't have to rely on sign language at traffic lights. She did not have to read my lips. We talked. And it was wonderful.

No comments: